Marion Makes History

Marion Makes History was the title on the cover of Track and Field Magazine just after she won 5 medals at the 2000 Olympic games. She’s making history again – admitting to her use of illegal, performance enhancing drugs prior to those victories.

I am so disappointed and disgusted. Not only because she has fessed up, but because she was so adamant in her lies. She sued Victor Conte for testifying that he saw her inject herself and he spent a lot of money defending himself. Not that I care a whit for Victor Conte who founded BALCO and is responsible for the production and use of this substance known as ‘the clear as well as other performance enhancing drugs’. I file that lawsuit under ‘karmic back lash’ and that guy can die and rot in hell for all care. I am, however absolutely deflated that she would assert her innocence so vigorously when in fact, she was lying.

She says she didn’t know at first she was using these things. That’s a little hard to believe when you look at pictures of her back then and look at how remarkably and miraculously her performance improved. Was it all wishful thinking? Did she really think some mystery substance and vitamins would lead to those results? Very hard to believe.

Marion Jones in 2000 and then again in 2004

The good news is that these doping scandals aren’t going away. I honestly hope that her coming forward is part of a grand scheme to finally bring Barry Bonds down. His doping is more dangerous and nefarious than that of any track star or cycling star simply because of the popularity of baseball. He has set the bar that says if you want to set a record you have to pump yourself up with steroids. That leaves every ambitious man behind him in a position of defeat or cheat. I’m tired of cheat and he in no way deserves to claim that he beat Hank Aaron’s record. He did not.

Let’s keep the pressure on to force people to perform as best they can under their own power, complete with fully in tact integrity. That’s what athletics is really about.

I found this student project which is a biography of Marion’s rise to the top. It looks quite different in light of recent news.

This entry was posted in Health, Running, say what?. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Marion Makes History

1. Nancy Toby says:

Thanks for this.

Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid.

2. Anne says:

I was disappointed, but not surprised, by her about-face. I do sometimes wonder if these athletes know what they are taking is illegal initially, but at some point it’s obvious.

3. comm's says:

I think it will be found that MJ was pressured to admit guilt or face a stiffer allegations in a trial.

I have no doubt that based on the Degree’s of Separation MJ has with BALCO that Bonds will very shortly be forced to make a similiar speech. But probably not until after he is allowed to retire after this season.

No one wants to touch him and his contract is up.

4. comm's says:

No one wants to touch him and his contract is up.

5. Dori says:

Well said, 21CM. I was very disappointed as well. It’s good to give it all you’ve got to achieve a goal, short of cheating. It’s too bad, cause she was one hell of an athlete.

6. This really bothers me too – the culture of athletics and the drug thing. When did it become a question of winning at any cost? When did athletics become a reason to give up one’s integrity? It ain’t right.

Barry Bonds is a cheater and everyone knows it.

7. Rural Girl says:

It was very disturbing. I agree. Very bad role model for our girls.

8. Bob says:

All of it is disturbing and dis-heartning. I understand the desire to want to be the best, and in the case of professional athletes to make millions and millions of dollars, I get that. But these are elite athletes, the best of the best.
    Should they not have a desire to take care of the incredible natural ability they were blessed with thier bodies. It just seems so short sighted to use performance enhancers to reach short term goals and not see the big picture. Shame on all of them.

I may be in the minority here but I feel like Lance needs to fess up as well. Enough is enough, fess up and make things right. I don’t believe that Lance is so blessed that he can again and again defeat other world class riders that we now know were doping, blood packing and many other things trying to win. It just does not pass the sniff test to me.

9. Anonymous says:

When a woman looks like a sculpture by Michaelangelo–an artist who apparently never saw a woman naked and merely extrapolated from the male form–you have to be suspicious.

10. oh man! i dont know why that she take a drug for what!? there’s no reason abt drug it’s not for her to get running as faster! i notice that she get pain all the time! so she need to stop it and learn lesson!