One of the Many Advantages of De-Starching

I’ve mentioned that I’ve lost 6 pounds in the last 3 months, right? (about 100 times, I know – SORRY!)

One of the things I did was have a come to Jesus meeting with myself over how much whole grained goodness I enjoy and cut a bunch out. No granola for breakfast any more; I have a protein powder miilkshake made with water, berries and protein powder. No 2 slices of whole wheat bread sandwiches for lunch any more; I have a salad in pita bread now. No potatoes, rice or pasta for dinner any more; I eat other stuff.

Result? I am not one of these crazy people worried about a global rice or flour shortage. I’m pretty sure that the 1 pound bags I have of each will last just about until hell freezes over or until I’ve enjoyed enough occasions to make treats for other people to use them up, and that works for me.

This entry was posted in Health. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to One of the Many Advantages of De-Starching

1. swtrigal says:

That is really great! I am eating the carbs the you are missing so the flour shortage continues..
    🙂

Me too…I am currently living on huge bowls (not a typo!) of cereal right before bed ’cause I am STILL hungry after dinner…
    Enchiladas and rice for dinner. Mac salad (2 bowls) with tuna mixed in for lunch…oatmeal for breakfast…you get the idea.
    A carb burnin’ machine…!

3. iliketoast says:

Can’t say I approve of the missing sandwiches unless they weren’t toasted cause we all need our toast. I have cut my lunch ration to one sandwich instead of two.

The one thing we don’t see a lot of in our house is the “spud” aka potato

you and a.j. are on a crusade to get me to eat cut out the carbs.

evil.

between you and a.j.

ok, i give! uncle! No more carbs!

you two are evil.

6. IronJenny says:

Carbs kill me, too, and I know I need to cut them out!

7. IronJenny says:

Carbs kill me, too, and I know I need to cut them out!

8. trimama says:

As a dietitian I’m still in the “eat carbs” camp-that being said, I think cutting carbs is a good way to get a handle on your “hunger” vs “appetite” I think culturally we learn to fuel our appetite from the time we are weaned and carbs tend to be an essential part of comfort foods.

Good for you in the discipline to make such a substantial change, that takes a lot of effort and it looks like it is paying off.

9. panthergirl says:

Good for you. I do ok on carbs… it’s fat that kills me. And dairy. And fat dairy (butter, ice cream, cheese).

Thanks for your kind words regarding the bullying situation with my son. It is so frustrating. I have to believe that something will be done soon, before a tragedy befalls us or another family at the hands of these little assholes.

10. Tammy says:

The one week pre-IMSA that I felt lean and mean, I had also cut out the carbs… not all, just the extra stuff. scones, 2x Tall VANILLA soy lattes, tortilla chips (doesn’t matter that they are organic). The more I think about getting back to that, the more of it I crave. I need an intervention!

Comments are closed.