Hump Day Miscellany – the Post Election Edition

Not to worry- this is light on politics and long on swimming and fun

1).  I think we all know how I feel about this election.  Hope is the new black, baby!  Obama has a mess on his hands but I believe he will assemble a crack team and take methodical and well thought out steps to clean it up.  I’m a happy girl today.

2). I hope my Republican friends and take after John McCain (who gave an excellent concession speech and reaffirmed my admiration for him)  and put down the swords to join in the postive energy and  the spirit of patriotism and ‘can do’ mentality to help dig the country out of the nasty pit we now find ourselves in.  Come on folks – quit acting on your fears and stop hating on the other side.  We need everyone’s participation to turn things around!

3).  Just when I thought I was over my fear of fish and could really enjoy open water swimming I see this on Fox News

The One that Didnt Get away

The One that Didn't Get away

Can you imagine swimming in a  river, looking down and seeing THAT??!!  Holy crap – I’m going to have to go through a whole new cycle of getting over my fear of fish – damnit!

4). – Speaking of swimming – last week there was a lane with about 5 people in it doing what appeared to be a really  hard repeat set.  The rest of us looked at the coach and said, “I hope we’re not doing THAT” he said that no – we were not.  Later in the locker room I asked one of the women what they were doing and she told me they swam 50 100s with the first 20 or them on the 1:20 and then they went to the 1:30.  For those of you  who don’t swim that means they swam 100 yards so fast that they ended one 100 yard lap and started the next in 1 minute and 20 seconds and they did that 20 times in a row and then they gave themselves and extra 10 seconds between laps for the next 30 laps for a total swim of 5,000 yards.  Mind boggling.  They are all life long swimmers who started when they were kids.  The woman I asked said, “don’t worry about it – I couldn’t ride my bike 5 miles”  It wasn’t much of a consolation, though.  I swim 100 yard repeats on the 2:10.

5).  Did you know that SWAG stands for “Stuff We All Get”?  I didn’t until very recently.  doh!

6). –   I uploaded my Garmin data to Sport Tracks recently.  Previously I had only uploaded a few select runs and races.  It thought many of my recent  runs were races.  It just decided that.  Can you spell ‘getting-faster’?

7). – Lastly, I bring  you the George Costanza Candy ID quiz to see if you were really paying attention to Halloween or just stuffing your face. I got a 70%. Draw your own conclusions. 🙂

This entry was posted in Hump Day and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Hump Day Miscellany – the Post Election Edition

1. Zach says:

100% on the quiz! Man, now I’m craving a Whatchamacallit.

2. Julie says:

I like your tag “Yes We Can.”
    The fish makes me glad that I opted to choose a sea turtle to represent the object of my affection.
    I had no idea that SWAG means “Stuff We All Get” but I like it.
    Quiz next.

3. Julie says:

50% on the quiz. I ask: who eats *these* candy bars anyway?

4. ihatetoast says:

10 out of 10. struggled with 3 muskies and milky way. oooh, both kinda shoeboxy.

how could anyone not get these? i love candy bars. prefer a big chunk of 74-80% dark, but they don’t usually appear before my very eyes in convenient money-for-shugga dispensers.

thought mccain said the right things and looked mortified that his followers booed. classy. poor guy. i felt for him. he wasn’t my choice, but i didn’t think he ran his own campaign. he became someone he wasn’t by the end. bullied by his own party and made to look irrelevant. thought palin was going to cry. for her i have no sympathy.

it was good times at the pub in brisbane. i had to celebrate all by myselbs. manboy away.

5. 21st century Sis says:

wow- that is one scary looking fish! I have seen some weird stuff snorkeling, that that is about as ugly as any of them!

I failed the candy test! 50% I can’t believe it… I love candy bars- especially the dark chocolate Milkyways– I can’t believe I couldn’t figure it out-looooooser!

Today we celebrate that we do, in fact, live in the country we thought we lived in- or at least the one we wanted to live in! What a day! The important thing to remember is that all we have done so far is to create the opportunity for change- there is much work to be done now, and we must all share in that! I can’t wait!

6. Chris says:

No fear or hate for the other side here. A little skepticism, sure. But I’m not one to blindly trust. He has to earn that.

Hopefully, for the good of the country, he makes a good president. I want nothing else for the country that I live in. We’ll see if Obama truly wants to govern from the far-left (where his voting record indicates he lives) or if he’ll try and move to the middle and govern as a centrist. Even as much as the electoral college was a very solid victory for him, the popular vote should tell him that there still are a lot of people in this country that live right to center. And even in what most people think were a bad last eight years, they’re staying there. It’s going to be up to Obama to move himself to the center, I think, than to try and get everyone else to move left. You know and I know that is just never going to happen (the country moving part – not the Obama moving part).

He’s made HUGE promises in his campaign and it’s going to be a tall order for him to fulfill (m)any of those promises. But I’m giving him a clean slate and give him the benefit of the doubt until he gives me reason otherwise.

7. #1 and 2: YES!

#3: Holy Crap! I’m with you!!

#4: They’re nuts!

#5: Ummm, I didn’t know that either. I feel stupid. Dang.

And nice job on #6!! Way to go!!

8. Mixed emotions on the election returns — elation and anger on some of the state and local issues.

now i’m going to imagine that damn fish every time I swim. thanks!

and I bombed on the candy quiz. apparently I need to pay more attention at Halloween!

9. Runner Susan says:

I need to put that fish out of my head. I have fish issues and that’s one ugly fish.

Did you notice how during McCain’s speech people booed when he mentioned Obama and during Obama’s speech people applauded McCain when he was mentioned? That there speaks volumes.

10. iliketoast says:

Another reason why I don’t swim

11. Joe Foster says:

Sooooo now that you know what SWAG means … do you know what SAG means?

… as in “SAG” vehicle/support ..