I Won!

No – I didn’t win my triathlon – I didn’t even place. I didn’t even make my goal of going sub 2 hours but I did win something in the post race raffle which I’ll tell you about in a minute and I did win having a great day and I did PR so before I go on let’s celebrate

My official time was 2:06:19. This is not a USAT chip timed event so you have to sort of wing it on the times but by my various chronometers my times came out like this:
swim 15:09
bike 1:01
run 44
Total ~2 hours

That means I screwed up transition big time and took a total of 6 minutes. There’s something to work on. Also, my bike was not so good. My bike computer says I was going an average of 15.4 mph which is definitely a best effort to date but not so hot. The course is basically flat. There was a headwind that did some damage but mostly I just need to push harder on the bike. I get too worried about trashing my legs for the run and I just don’t step it up enough. Lesson learned. I actually had a good run with an average pace of 10:35. On a wicked, tough course. Here’s the elevation map and it’s no lie.

The course is littered with these short, steep hills that are nasty. Fortunately the weather was perfect – overcast and cool. My very first bead of sweat hit my eyes with just 1/2 mile to go on the run. Very tolerable.

Shout outs to the guy with a “49” on his calf who ran by me and said “Hey – I think they got the numbers for your age transposed” Love that guy!. I yelled “Oh man – I HATE it when that happens”. Then I picked it up a little but alas, he was too fast to catch.

I had a great time, though and that’s what counts. As I was coming out of T2 I heard someone yell “go Pamela!” and looked up to see Jen of RunningStories . She and her husband Zach came out just to cheer me on – how cool is that??!! When she yelled for me so did some other people which was a huge boost and really energized me. Pictorial evidence of our meeting was gathered by Jen and I’m sure she’ll post it soon. Jen is local so I’ve been working to recruit her and Zach to join my race club, Forward Motion (FMRC) – I think it’s working!

FMRC was out in force – 40 people participated in the race and about another dozen people were on the course as volunteers. As though that weren’t enough we had a club BBQ this afternoon that was attended by about 100 people. I mentioned before that the race was handicapped so that people like me could experience placing something other than last. Okay – I’m the only one who consistently places last but you get the idea. Everyone who raced got a certificate and a little medal and some of us got prize titles. I’m not sure what my place was but I was given 2 title awards.

“PR Pamela” and “Most Likely to Write an Entertaining Race Report”. I felt honored. I ♥ my race club. Once more:

If you have a race club in your area I can’t encourage you enough to join. Getting up the nerve to join FoMo was one of the best things I have done in a while. It’s fun and the really good elite athletes are helpful and encouraging to us struggling age groupers and there is nothing better than participating in a race with a bunch of other people all in the same team kit. If it’s an option for you, go for it – you won’t be sorry!

So what did I win besides the PR and the great time? The raffle included such things as bike jackets, messenger bags, gift certificates to Fleet Feet, gift certificates for a massage and then there was my prize – a free entry for another Olympic distance race. Oh yeah – lucky me? Think it’s a hint? If nothing else it gives me another chance to get faster at the bike and transitions before SOMA and yet another chance to PR. What better way to live up to my new title?

This entry was posted in community, Events, triathlon. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to I Won!

1. RIGHT ON!!! Good job on your PR!!

Wow – you are really getting so fast! I second the club thing – it really helps keep me sane to be an Outlaw. In a sorta insane sorta way, that is.

holy hell, that’s fantastic!!! I can’t believe your run on those hills! You are one hot chick. What a huge PR!

and of course you had to buy a new helmet, c’mon!

ha ha ha on your prize! i’d say it’s a hint alright.

3. w00t! Nice job on the PR!

Congrats on the PR lady! Sounds as if you had a great race and a great time…what better way to spend a Sunday! (Did you happen to get that 49 year old’s name and phone number? Sounds like a potential date to me!) 🙂
    So- what Oly are you entering???

5. Jen says:

Great job!! 🙂 It was great to see you out there racing and meeting you after. You did great! Congrats on the PR- you looked so energized and fresh after. See you soon!

6. Congrats for your PR, the report and the race. I agree, it is important to join a race group because we become part of a competitive team and we can have a lot of fun spending time together.

7. Black Knight says:

8. momo says:

woo-hoo! sounds like a blast – which you know is the most important part about racing!! 😉

didn’t you win something else just recently? that sf marathon thing? PLAY THE LOTTERY!!

Congrats. A PR. That is fabulous.

10. Clancy says:

Sweet Job!! Congrats and I’m so happy I have access to your blog now! Bethel Island is a good one…so I’ve heard. Never done it though..hmmm….;-) Tri Happy! ~Clancy

11. Waddler26.2 says:

Yahoo!!! and a PR. Great job,

12. Congratulations on that PR, lady!

I agree about the clubs. I have a running club and a triathlon team. There is absolutely nothing better thaan being a part of a unit!

Again, congrats!

13. Susan says:

Yay Mom. Congrats on the PR.

14. Jumper says:

Yay, for 21st!

I just joined the Minnesota Tri Club and am quite excited about it.

15. IronJenny says:

way to go Pamela!!!!

16. ihatetoast says:

good on you! you PR’ed and got 4 girly sperm to announce it for you.

i could never do tris. i’d have to have a dove bar or a magnum (aus) in the transition. oh, or fritos. i don’t think transitions should count. or if they insist on counting those, then it should be judged by grace and finesse, not speed. you are stripping after all. it’s not cool to do that fast and furious. i think you should get points for hair flippage.

17. Congratulations!! I am a little behind on my reading so, a little behind on my comments. What agreat job!! Love the “Award” title!!

18. bex says:

OMG – congrats on the PR! I have so much respect for triathletes. And I wish I had a Forward Motion club in my area (sob).

19. comm's says:

well thats a good day by any means. Especially the BBQ that followed.

And there is no way, no way I could say the word ‘transposed’ when running by someone. I’d be out of breath. I am definitely a single syllable organism.

20. comm's says:

well thats a good day by any means. Especially the BBQ that followed.

21. susie says:

Way to go!! And what a club you have. I love that club!

Comments are closed.